Clowesia warczewitzii

• Author

First bloom seedling of Clowesia warczewitzii with two spikes. Wonderful, citrusy aroma. Blooming on leafless pseudobulbs, as is normal for all winter blooming Clowesias. Surprisingly, thrips have not noticed this plant, even with the strong fragrance. Pollinia was gathered and stored for future use.

Attachments:
    February 5, 2023 at 11:55 am #12180

Thanks for posting this. The fragrance is delightful. As it blooms after dropping leaves in the winter months, it will go into rest period before new growth appears in the spring.

February 6, 2023 at 11:35 pm #12200

Ok, I think I’ve got to find some Clowesia to try for myself! The flowers make me want to eat cucumbers. How long can pollinia be stored and still be viable?

February 7, 2023 at 12:18 am #12205

From aos.org there was a question and answer on storing pollen. Here’s the reply by Ned Nash.

For pollinia, you can remove the pollen, wrap in clean paper and store in a cool dry place. It may keep for at least a year.

If stored for longer then the use of a desiccant is helpful. Pollen has been described as stored (for several years) in a stoppered test tube with desiccant in the bottom held in by cotton.

February 7, 2023 at 6:05 am #12212

Beautiful form and lime green color. How long is the resting period?

February 7, 2023 at 3:46 pm #12230

These orchids and other Catasetums will drop leaves in the late fall and through the winter months and benefit from a long rest until about march or early April when new shoots will appear. From Fred Clark of SVO Orchids we are now gaining experience growing them with plans to start watering and fertilizing when the new roots are about 3 inches long but not before. The plants will live off and grow from energy stored in the very large round pseudobulbs. If plants don’t start to wrinkle up, minimal watering is OK. Over watering when the plant is resting will risk rotting.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.