Ctt. Orange Walker ‘Halona’

• Author

This hybrid of Ctt. Orange Passion x C. walkeriana was made by Masa Chen of Orchids of Waianae. According to Masa, this cultivar is the only one to bloom out orange and also easy growing. The rest of the plants to bloom pulled more C. walkeriana, and were difficult to grow. This cultivar readily grows into a specimen plant, and reliably booms for Mother’s Day.

Attachments:
    May 11, 2023 at 8:36 pm #13185

During the cloning process, mutations can occur. One type of mutation that can happen is the doubling of the chromosome number. This is called a polyploid. Polyploids generally, have fuller shaped flowers and heavier substance. The inflorescence can be thicker than the diploid form. The plant below is a polyploid form of Ctt. Orange Walker.

Attachments:
    May 27, 2023 at 2:08 pm #13245

Thanks! Now I know what I am growing.

In a May 2014 field trip, with other members of the Kaimuki Orchid Society, I saw an amazing blooming specimen hanging from the roof of a commercial greenhouse in Waianae. The greenhouse owner (presumably Masa Chen)told me it was a C. walkeriana hybrid, bloomed every Mother’s Day, and sold me a 2 or 3 bareroot pseudobulbs without a nametag.

I’m attaching a picture of my plant in full bloom in mid-May. I’m also attaching an internet picture of a specimen-size plant in a windward Oahu nursery.

Attachments:
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.