Importing CA Orchids to Oahu (One-Time Shipment)?

• Author

Does anyone have experience shipping in orchids into the state? I am looking to order some orchids from a California Nursery, but was wondering how successful folks have been working with HDOA in the past.

My understanding is that I will have to file for an import permit via application (attached) on the HDOA-side and receive a phytosanitary certificate from the CA County that the nursery is based out of.

I am working with HDOA now, but would appreciate it if anyone knows the process better than some of the public guidance available. Mahalo!

Attachments:
    March 6, 2024 at 9:19 am #14159

Hi Cameron. We have many members who have imported orchids from California. The experience has been generally good as long as the nursery who you are purchasing from is certified and has experience with shipping to Hawaii. I have not personally ordered orchids recently from the mainland but my understanding is that when the shipment arrives in Hawaii, you will have to pick the box up from the airline’s cargo office and transport the box unopened to the State Department of Agriculture at Sand Island where it will be opened and inspected. If the paperwork that accompanies the shipment is in order and the plants are disease free, you can take the box with plants home with you. If the paperwork is not in order and/or the plants have issues (insect infestation, fungus virus, etc.), then you have a problem. If you want to speak to someone who recently ordered plants from California, email me at melwaki@gmail.com and I’ll see if I can connect you with that person.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.