Vanda tricolor

• Author

Vanda tricolor is a large, tough, sprawling orchid with many color forms which grows wild on tree limbs in asian jungles. Cuttings with aerial roots placed on the ground will grow into a clump. I prefer the variety with purple and white flowers shown in my pictures. My 83-year old neighbor told me this variety was her grandmother’s favorite orchid. The flowers are lightly fragrant in the morning. A clump of Vanda tricolor grown in full sun and watered regularly will always be in bloom. If no one waters for a month, it will drop leaves but won’t die.

Attachments:
    February 18, 2023 at 11:29 am #12863

Thanks for sharing your Vanda tricolor. Your orchids are growing so well in your yard. From the green of their leaves you can see that they are getting good levels of light. Often plants that are adjusted for their location and can’t be moved will adapt and resist being sunburned.

The high light levels also may help the plants to grow and bloom regularly. I think in the past you may have noted that the color and pattern on some plants can vary.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.